What is a Newborn Care Specialist?
A “Newborn Care Specialist” (NSC) is an experienced individual who is educated and trained in newborn care. A NCS provides in-home assistance and support for the entire family, while adjustments are being made for the new baby/babies. With guidance from a NCS, the family will be able to develop healthy routines for the baby that will benefit the entire family for the future. Most Newborn Care Specialists will provide sleep training services to insure the baby, along with the family, are getting the proper amount of sleep needed. The support and reassurance of a NCS is a benefit for nursing moms and tired parents.
What are the responsibilities and duties of a Newborn Care Specialist?
A Newborn Care Specialist’s main goal is to educate parents on all things about the baby. From teaching how to distinguish the baby’s different cries to understanding different sleepy cues and signs, the NCS will help guide the parents through the first few months of birth.
Duties of a NCS include:
- Baby Laundry
- Changing Diapers
- Bottle preparation, cleaning and sterilizing
- Maintain nightly log that will track feedings, amounts, diapers, moods, etc.
- Providing developmental milestones, weekly and daily goals
- Establishing healthy sleep habits through sleep training
- Organizing and maintenance of nursery and supplies
- Suggesting a workable daytime routine/schedule, when applicable
- Educating and supporting parents with regards to infant care
Knowledge of a NCS includes:
- Burping techniques
- Swaddling styles and procedures
- Self-soothing methods
- Umbilical cord and circumcision care
- Rash and thrush care
- Acid reflux and colic care and relief
- Administering medicine, if needed
- Formula awareness and support
- Post partum support and awareness
- Assisting the mother with breast feeding issues that may arise
- Confidence in caring for multiples and premature infant
- Knowledge in developmental milestones
- Developing family goals and planning
- Guidance in developmentally appropriate activities